Understanding the Concerns of Rodent Infestation

For people who own property there are few things that prove as distressing as having a rodent infestation. While any type of infestation can be troublesome and worrisome, a rodent infestation can pose a complete set of risks that are different than insect infestations. Because the risk to property and health is a much greater concern with rodents than most cases of insects, rodent infestation should be addressed as soon as it is discovered.

Electrical Risks from Rodents

First, rodents often have a propensity to chew on electrical wires. While this can prove deadly for the rodent it can also cause extensive electrical damage for a property owner. Additionally, this kind of electrical damage can cause a potential fire. This is especially true if the wiring is in walls or hidden it attics or basements where they are likely to go unnoticed.

Health Risks from Rodents

Rodents carry disease, and while some insects do as well, it is long been understood that rodents pose a greater health risk in some definitive ways that insects do not. Mice and rats carry bacteria, viruses, diseases and parasites. One of the bigger concerns is the possibility of contracting either Hantavirus and Lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCM). Both these viruses spread by rodents are a great health concern if contracted. 

Viruses such as the Hantavirus and Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis are both brought about by rodent infestation. Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis is a viral infection of the brain and it effects the membranes around the human brain and the spinal cord. The Hantavirus ultimately affects the lungs. Early symptoms of both are like the flu. Those infected with the Hantavirus usually see worsening symptoms in their lungs. This virus is deadly in approximately 50% of the cases which makes this virus extremely dangerous if contracted. Both viruses are contracted by having contact with the droppings, urine or saliva of rats or mice. The infestation rate of mice that carry the Hantavirus is approximately 12 percent while Lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCM) is found in approximately 5% of the mice population. While these numbers are low, cumulatively they total 17% of the mice population.

Symptoms of the Hantavirus and Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis include:

    • Fatigue
    • Nausea
    • Vomiting
    • Fever
    • Muscle Aches
    • Chills
    • Diarrhea
    • Coughing
  • Shortness of Breath

The best way to protect both your property and your health is using a professional rodent removal service. Both rats and mice are attracted to homes and businesses that have an ample supply of food. Once they have found an access point they will continue to infest a home or building if the access point remains viable. 

Rodent Removal

Using a professional rodent removal service, homeowners and property owners can rest at ease knowing that any access points will be identified and sealed up and deterrents created. It is important once the infestation has been curbed that cleanup be carried out using gloves and antibacterial-antiviral cleaner.

Signs of infestation include:

    • Visible Droppings
    • Scratching Sounds in Walls
    • Ammonia Odor Near Crevices
  • Bite Marks on Boxes or Wires

If you notice any of these signs, the best way to address the situation is by calling a Rodent Removal Professional. At Greenleaf Pest Control, we specialize in the removal of both insect infestation and rodent infestation. For a full inspection and consultation regarding rodent control Burbank CA property owners can get all the answers to their questions on rodent removal by contacting one of our professionals at: 877-52-GREEN (877-524-7336).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *